51 Apps for Education
By: Edu 271
Application software is all the computer software that causes a computer to perform useful tasks beyond the running of the computer itself. A specific instance of such software is called a software application, application or app.
App is an abbreviations for application program. We generally use the term to refer to a piece of software that can run on an iPhone, iPad, Andriod or can be a google App!
APP is an abbreviation for application. An app is a piece of software. It can run on the Internet, on your computer, or on your phone or other electronic device.
An App is any software used as a program to perform a function
For our purposes..... An App must be used on an iPhone, iPad, Andriod or can be a google App!
1. Air Sharing: (http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/staff-picks/air-sharing.html) This app allows users to access documents from their computer onto their iPhone. Talk about efficiency!
2. Assignments: (http://www.apptism.com/apps/assignments) Assignments, as the name suggests, allows you to keep track of assignments and coursework—and works great for teachers and students. Not only can you add an assignment with a due date, but you can also add recordings and note the priority of each assignment.
3 Text Aloud MP4 (www. textaloud.com) Text to speech convert to MP3
4. VoiceThread: (http://voicethread.com/mobile/) Create and share dynamic conversations around documents, snapshots, diagrams and videos -- basically anything there is to talk about. You can talk, type, and draw right on the screen. VoiceThread takes your conversations to the next level, capturing your presence, not just your comments.
5. BookShelf: (http://iphone.iusethis.com/app/bookshelf) Paper–bound books are so 90s. Apple is now offering an application called BookShelf, where users can read books straight from a mobile device.
6. Brain Pop: (http://brainpop.com) Games, activities, quizzes, and educational movies.
7. Brushes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brushes-3/id545366251?mt=8)Brushes is a painting app designed exclusively for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes 3 is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. M ove paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go!
8. Soundnote Simple to robust note taking apps with a variety of features
9. Wikiweb ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id499345601?mt=8&src=af) Wikiweb’s main selling point is as a Wikipedia reader that not only serves up the usual content crowdsourced from willing bodies around the world, but it also visualizes the connections between articles.
10.Educate: (http://www.appsafari.com/productivity/9237/educate/) The Educate application is a perfect mobile project manager for teachers, offering the ability to personalize your weekly timetable and plan for individual lessons all from a single interface.
11. My video schedule (http://myvideoschedule.com/ MyVideoSchedule.com is a teacher created customizable app combining video modeling in a structured schedule for individuals with autism.
12. Class Dojo (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id552602056?mt=8&src=af) Through the app, teachers create a free account, add their students’ names and customize the behaviors they want to encourage. During class, positive behavior is reinforced by dishing out feedback points to students, using any computer, tablet or smartphone; these feedback points are displayed in real-time in the classroom with audio-visual cues.
13. Musee du Louvre (https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/musee-du-louvre/id337339103?mt=8):The world's largest museum houses a fabulous collection of more than 35,000 works of art… in a historic palace! But if you can't come to the Louvre, we can help you discover the museum's must-sees on your iPod touch or even your iPad!
14 Audible.com (www.audible) MP3 audio books
15. GPA Calc: (http://www.apple.com/webapps/calculate/gpacalc_johnrouda.html) Set your students up with GPA Calc, where they can track their grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
16. DailyArt (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id547982045?mt=8&src=af) DailyArt delivers one piece of classic art to your iOS or Android deviceeach day. DailyArt is your daily dose of classic paintings, serving up a proverbial shot of espresso to awaken the inner culture vulture in you, however fleeting this may be.
17. iDictionary: (http://www.apple.com/webapps/searchtools/idictionary_1webappscom.html) iDictionary is the ultimate dictionary source on the iPhone—in fact, the application can pull from up to 16 sources at once.
18. NYTimes: (http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/staff-picks/ny-times.html) A 2009 Award–winning Mobile Application, the NYTimes app is an essential tool to access current events.
19 Learning Ally( www.learningally.org) dowloadables DAISY and MP3
20 Read How You Want www.readhow youwant.com DAISY digital talking books
20. Jazz Sculptor (http://www.iphoneappsplus.com/reviews-318411544-143441-0.htm)Sculptor is an application that you can experience carving touching on screen. Tap to chisel away on a block of wood or even a pumpkin. There is “User’s Gallery” where you can see hundred of collection of user created sculptures all over the world. Please have a look at those works first.
21.Adobe Ideas (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/2-adobe-ideas) Adobe ideas is a digital sketchbook which allows you to capture your ideas on the go. The app is also a vector-based drawing tool, allowing you to use a photograph as a layer - it can then analyse the image and develop a colour scheme based on the image, which you then use to sketch/design over or around the base image.
22. Lego (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lego.bricksmore&hl=en)Here’s an app to immortalize your favorite things in LEGO form. Just point the camera, import the images select one, press the button, and watch the masterpiece build! Capture your child’s moments of brilliance in LEGO bricks. Create a pixelated artwork in seconds.
23. Space Images: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-images/id347075764?mt=8 Discover stunning images and videos of space, stars and planets -- including Earth and the sun! -- at your fingertips with the Space Images app from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a leader in robotic exploration of the solar system.
24. Idea Sketch (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/22-idea-sketch) Idea Sketch lets you draw Mind Maps, concept maps and flow charts, and convert these into text outlines (and vice versa). The ideal app for brainstorming ideas, illustrating concepts, making lists and outlines, planning presentations and more.
25 Ghost Reader (www.assistive software.com)
26. Juxtaposer (http://www.pocketpixels.com/Juxtaposer.html) This App lets you combine multiple pictures into fun photomontages quickly and easily thanks to its amazingly intuitive and responsive user interface. Take any element from one picture and add it to another. It's simple and the process is fun.
27 Today in History: (http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/todayinhistory.html) Another great history app, this program presents fun facts in American and World History with 40,000 events listed each year
28 Graffiti Draw (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/graffiti-draw-free/id368183668?mt=8) Like drawing with spray cans? Download Graffiti Draw FREE and touch the screen to spray, cool spray sounds, shake to clear, spray over your pics!
29 ipad task manager apps for managing time and task with a variety of interfaces www.apple.com
30. Corkulous (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/9-corkulous) Corkulous is an idea board for the iPad. It allows you to collect, organise and share ideas using a virtual corkboard. You can place, arrange and rearrange notes, labels, photos, contacts, tasks, ideas, etc. The ideal tool for brainstorming activities.
31. AVG: (http://free.avg.com/us–en/get–basic–protection) Education in today’s world has become mostly web–based, so it’s important that teacher’s computers are virus–free. AVG is a downloadable application that protects your personal computer against security threats like spam and malware.
32. Pandora: (http://www.pandora.com) Though this app doesn’t directly correlate to academia — it allows teachers to relax with a fully customizable internet radio.
33. NASA App for iOSThe NASA App collects, customizes and delivers an extensive selection of dynamically updated information, images and videos from various online NASA sources in a convenient mobile package on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
34. Atlas by Collins (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id560461884?mt=8) Atlas by Collins is a beautiful and immersive way to explore Earth, letting users explore the world through a collection of interactive 3D globes, displaying visual data about this planet we call home.
35 Preview Applications> preview images and text preview with annotation toolbar
36. Wonders of the Universe (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id508465867?mt=8) Wonders of the Universe is an iPad app that packs in a custom 3D rendering engine, tons of video, text and image content from Professor Brian Cox’s Wonders series, accompanied by a brand new interface that works like nothing else you’ve seen from an ‘interactive book’ before.
37. PBS Kids: (http://pbskids.org/mobile/)
38. Edmodo (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/edmodo/id378352300?mt=8 ) Award-winning Edmodo for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad makes it easy for teachers and students to stay connected and share information. Use your iOS device to send notes, submit assignments, post replies, and check messages and upcoming events while away from the classroom.
39.Wikipanion (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/50-wikipanion )Choose a topic and allow 60 seconds for students to read about the topic, and then use Idea Sketch to create a Mind Map, capturing and organising what they had learnt with in five minutes. Ask students to share their thoughts with the class.
40. Khan Academy (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/khan-academy/id469863705?mt=8) Khan Academy allows you to learn almost anything for free. Our iOS app is the best way to view Khan Academy’s complete library of over 3,500 videos. Great Math resource.
41. iStudiezPro (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/59-istudiez-pro) A student's life is a dizzying mix of activity and just plain craziness! Take charge of your schedule and put iStudiez Pro to work for you! Take advantage of iStudiez Pro easy navigation and never miss another course, lecture and lab, track tasks and deadlines, plan homework, arrange assignments and much more!
42. Puppet Pals(http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/38-puppet-pals) Pick some actors and backgrounds, drag them onto the stage, and hit record. Your movements and audio are recorded in real time for playback later.
43GIMP (www.gimp.org) an open-source UNIX based free piece of software from GNUprogram. It offers a wide range of photo-editing tools
44. My Math Flash Cards App (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-math-flash-cards-app/id412496588?mt=8) My Math Flash Card App is for mastering basic elementary math facts. Its an easy to use and customizable application to enable focused learning.
45. Sign Language! (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sign-language!/id321202730?mt=8) This app will help you learn how to FINGERSPELL WORDS, NUMBERS, SIGN BASIC SENTENCES, IDIOMS, DEAF CULTURE and more for FREE!
46. Leafsnap (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id433522683?mt=8) Take a picture of any leaf and this app will identify the specie of tree it comes from.
47. The Elements (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/62-the-elements) If you think you've seen the periodic table, think again. The Elements: A Visual Exploration lets you experience the beauty and fascination of the building blocks of our universe in a way you've never seen before.
48. Sight Words List - Learn to Read Flash Cards & Games (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sight-words-list-learn-to/id445708245?mt=8) Sight Words, also known as the Dolch List are an integral part in learning how to read. The Dolch Word list contains 315 words that are broken down into appropriate age groups. It is important for young readers to be able to instantly recognize these high frequency words in order to be proficient and fluent readers.
50. Molecules (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/education-apps/apps/28-molecules) Molecules is an app for viewing 3D renderings of molecules and manipulating them using your fingers.
51. Spawn Illuminati HD (https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/spawn-illuminati-hd-art-fireworks/id296036692?l=en&mt=8) An app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad that makes a swarm of colored lights dance across the screen with your fingers and a little imagination. With this version, you can control the size, shape, color and number of Spawn particles … even enable the microphone to further make the light show pulsate in rhythm